Monday, December 17, 2012

Royal Icing for Cut Out Cookies

We've all made that icing with the powder sugar and water, right? Well, let's get all grown up and make something a little more sophisticated by adding a simple ingredient, Meringue Powder. Don't get me wrong, there's a time and place for the plain old icing but this is great and versatile. Plus it makes your cookies look professional.
This icing dries candy-hard, which is ideal for decorating cookies, flowers, detailing, but not so good for decorating cakes.

Here we go:
3 T Wilton Meringue Powder
4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
4-6 T water

if your making stiffer icing, you'll want 1-2 T less water.

Beat all ingredients at low speed for 7-10 minutes until icing forms peaks. At this point I separate the icing into two batches. One that will remain as it, stiff, that I cake use as "piping" and the other stays in the mixing bowl to my my "flood icing". I add 1-2 T water to the bowl and thin the icing out again, using this as my "flood" icing.
You can add food coloring to either and decorate till your hearts content.


No comments:

Post a Comment