Lemon Infused Vodka
Learning how to make flavored vodka is quite simple and allows for creativity. Of all alcohols, vodka serves as one of the best for flavor infusions because its neutral nature easily carries the flavors with which it''s infused.
Because your final product will only be as good as the ingredients you use, start with a moderate to high quality vodka as a base for your flavored vodka recipe. Although low-quality vodkas may hold flavor, they won''t be as smooth or tasty as premium brands. Keep in mind, however, that top-shelf vodkas are best enjoyed on their own. A good rule of thumb is to simply choose a middle-of-the-road vodka that you would also enjoy straight.
To make lemon flavored vodkas, follow these steps:
- Peel the zest of 3 large lemons making sure to leave the rind behind. (that will make the vodka taste bitter) I used my sharp pearing knife to cut the skin off the lemon in a few long strips. This makes it prettier in the bottle.
- Add the lemon peel to a sealable bottle and add vodka.
- Cover the container tightly and store it in a cool, dark, dry place.
- Shake the container gently every couple of days.
- In about a week you should be able to serve it but test it first. Chill it before serving and make your favorite cocktail using it.
I'm giving mine away as a hostess gift for the holidays.